Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The rise and fall of the food blog

When blogging first started, people started blogging about food, and many amazing food blogs came about--several leading to published books. That's good food blogging.

What isn't good food blogging, you ask? Just about everything else out there.

I like to lurk on the food board at The Nest. There are some good recipes there, and it's fun to read about people who love to cook as much as I do. It is no surprise that many of the regular posters have blogs.

There are some very creative cooks on the board:

There's Joelen's Culinary Adventures, and Culinary Creations by Peabody. Elly says opa! is another popular one, as is Cara's Cravings.

These, however, are not the ones I'm here to discuss.

Every day (or so it seems) there is a new post entitled "I have a food blog!!!!" The overall quality of the food blog world has really been watered down by discussions of chili-mac and horrid (horrid) food photography. It is clear that many people are not aware of--or do not understand--the macro setting on their digital camera, and do not realize that flash is bad:



It seriously hurts my eyes to look at that one. They keep trying to focus--unsuccessfully!

Others just take pictures of things that don't look good. I understand that you're posting pictures of everything you eat, but one of the most appealing things about food blogs is looking at pictures of things that actually look appetizing. I don't care how delicious that dish was, if it looks ugly why take a picture of it?



That's all for now. I have to go and read more blogs.

4 comments:

Peabody said...

My husband is not the photographer...I am.

uglyfood said...

ah. my apologies! I must be thinking of someone else. Your photos are fabulous!

Peabody said...

Thanks for the compliments!

Leslie said...

I think we have all been waiting for a blog like yours. I will list you as a favorite of Blog Soup... which is not exclusively food related.